Archive

Posts Tagged ‘switchboard’

Electrical Failure on Queen Mary 2 Causes Explosion & Blackout

December 3, 2010 Leave a comment

SOUTHAMPTON, UK – An electrical failure which caused an explosion and a blackout on the Cunard liner Queen Mary 2 was described today by marine accident investigators.

One of the capacitors – an energy-storing container – in a compartment within a switchboard room failed as the 151,000-tonne Southampton-based vessel was approaching Barcelona, a report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said.

There was a loud explosion and extensive damage to the surrounding electric panels and the vessel blacked out.

A steel cover plate was blown out into the main switchboard room but ”fortunately there were no personnel in the vicinity” the MAIB said.

Story via DailyEcho.co.uk

Advertisements

2 in India Die of High Voltage Electric Shock at Home

October 30, 2010 Leave a comment

KARWAR, INDIA – Two fishermen died and two injured of electric shock due to high voltage flow in their switchboard at their residences in Karwar.

The deceased were identified as Shankar Peru Durgekar(39) and Theku Harikantara (50) both were fishermen.

According to the sources, at about 4 am Theku was getting ready to go for fishing when he heard the TV set exploding and when he tried to put off the TV switch, he suffered electric shock and died. His wife Godavari and daughter Ranjita, who tried to rescue him, suffered serious injuries and have been admitted to Karwar civil hospital.

Another deceased Shankar Peru Durgekar was the neighbourer of Theku , who was also died when he tried to switch off the board after noticing the sound in a fan. A case of negligence has been filed against Hubli Electric Supply Company (HESCOM) which supplies power to Uttar Kannada district.

Story via SahilOnline.org