Archive

Posts Tagged ‘tree’

Tree Trimmer Suffers Electrical Burns in CA

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Santa Barbara, CA – A tree-trimmer suffered severe electrical burns on Wednesday after his rope wrapped around a power line.

Santa Barbara Fire Department spokesman Ryan DiGuilio said the man had thrown the rope over a tree limb he had been preparing to work on. The rope had some metal in it and when it went around an electrical line, it carried the current back up through the man’s harness, giving him severe electrical burns.

At 1:23 p.m. firefighters and paramedics received a report of a man caught in a tree on the first block of East Valerio Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found the man 30 feet in the air, hanging upside down. The man’s harness had slipped and only held him by the ankles.

Firefighters used a 35 foot ladder and a series of ropes and harness to get the man down. DiGuilio was still conscious on the way to Cottage Hospital.

Story via The Daily Sound.com

Advertisements

Man Loses Both Hands in Electric Shock Accident

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

SHAH ALAM, MALAYSIA – A man faces a bleak future when both his hands were amputated following a freak accident where he suffered electric shocks while plucking oil palm fruit at an estate in Tanjung Karang, two months ago.

Doctors, who are treating Muhamad Hairuman Miskon, 22, have decided to amputate both his hands below the elbow to avoid infection from spreading to other parts of his body.

Hairuman’s ordeal started on Nov 26, last year, when he was plucking oil palm fruit with a friend.

He was using a steel rod with a hook on one end to pluck the palm oil fruit, unaware that the leaves of the tree were wet from a downpour the night before and were touching a nearby high-voltage electric cable.

As soon as the rod touched the wet leaves, he suffered shocks and was thrown off about 5m.

Hairuman suffered more than 50 per cent burns to his body, with both his hands totally charred.

Since the accident, the victim had been admitted to several hospitals in Tanjung Karang and Sungai Buloh before he was transferred to Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital on Monday.

His elder sister, Maryuni Miskon, 32, said doctors told the family that both of his hands had to be amputated because they were completely burnt.

“I agree with the surgery if it will help to save his life. At the same time, I’m also wondering how Hairuman will make a living without his two hands,” said Maryuni.

She added that Hairuman used to do wiring jobs before the incident.

She also said she had spent thousands of ringgit on Hairuman’s medical expenses since the accident.

Members of the Committee of Community Services and Rakan Muda of the Malaysian Youth Council visited Hairuman yesterday.

Its chairman, Rizan Hassan, urged members of the public and non-governmental organisations to offer financial assistance to help ease the victim’s financial burden.

Story via AsiaOne.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Electrician Killed While Not Wearing Right PPE

January 22, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia –  WorkSafe says a man who died in Darwin’s rural area was electrocuted when he touched a damaged wire.

The 66-year-old electrician was called to a house in Howard Springs last Thursday, to repair a power line damaged by a storm.

WorkSafe says tree branches had fallen on the line and the man was electrocuted when he tried to reconnect it with a power pole.

WorkSafe says the man wasn’t using the right protective equipment and didn’t have the tools to check if the line was damaged.

WorkSafe has issued a safety alert, urging all contractors to be extremely careful when working with damaged power lines.

Story via abc.net.au

Boy Electrocuted After Playing with Light Socket

January 16, 2011 Leave a comment

Olango Island, A boy wanted to play doctor. He ended up electrocuted instead when he touched a live wire hanging on a tree in sitio Kaosmangan, barangay Baring, Olango Island last Saturday afternoon.

Police identified the nine-year-old victim as Stephen Ompad, a resident of the area.

A Grade 1 pupil of Baring Elementary School, Ompod died after playing with a socket bulb hanging at a tamarind tree.

The victim was with friends when they stopped by a tamarind tree. While his friends climbed the tree to get tamarind, Ompad was attracted to the wire on the tree.

He tried to grab the socket bulb, not realizing that it was a live wire.

Montebon said his playmates told him that Ompad pretended to be a doctor and pulled the socket to his heart to simulate the use of a stethoscope. But the socket instead electrocuted him.

He was rushed to the Sta. Rosa Community Hospital in the island but died before reaching it. /Reporter Jucell Marie P. Cuyos

Story via GlobalNationEnquirer.Net

Man Electrocuted While Tree Trimming

January 15, 2011 Leave a comment

Mangalore – A person named Hemaiah Shetty (60) died after one of the areca nut being felled, came in contact with live wire at Mariappara Pampu near Konchar, Bajpe, near here, on Friday January 14.

Reportedly, the land belonging to Hemaiah Shetty, where an areca nut plantation stands, has been acquired by Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board. He was cutting down areca nut trees one by one. One of the trees he cut down, fell directly on power lines, electrocuting Shetty instantly.

Hemaiah Shetty is survived by wife, two sons, and a daughter. Officials visited the spot. Complaint of unnatural death was registered.

Story via DaijiWorld.com

Man Electrocuted Cutting Down Trees

January 13, 2011 Leave a comment

Northern Territory, Australia –  Police say it seems the electrocution of a man in Darwin’s rural area yesterday was a tragic accident.

The 66 year-old man was cutting down trees in Thornbill Crescent in Howard Springs.

Duty Superintendent Bob Rennie says some branches fell across nearby power lines.

“He attempted to clear the trees by climbing a ladder but tragically it appears the ladder sank into the wet ground and earthed, killing this poor gentleman,” Supt Rennie said.

Story via ABCNET.AU

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources