Archive

Posts Tagged ‘TX’

TX: OSHA Fines BMC Building Materials $41K; Electrical Cord Problems

January 23, 2013 Leave a comment

New Braunfels, TX: A New Braunfels company has been fined by OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which says they found a total of 7 serious safety violations during a recent inspection.

BMC Building Materials and Construction Services, located on FM 482 here in New Braunfels, builds prefabricated wood trusses.  But they are now facing fines totaling 41-thousand dollars following OSHA’s allegations that the company exposes workers to electric and machine guarding hazards.

Specifically, OSHA claims that during a safety inspection back in October (which was prompted by a complaint about unsafe working conditions) they discovered 7 separate safety violations including a lack of machine guarding on machinery equipment, saw blades, rotating shafts, and pulleys, which OSHA says can lead to serious injuries, including amputations.

Other violations included failing to ensure that electrical wiring is protected, and ensuring electrical cords are maintained in a safe condition.  OSHA says a serious violation is issued when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard that the employer either knew about or should have known about.

BMC Building Materials now has 15 business days to comply with the safety regulations, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director in Austin, or contest the citations and penalties before an independent OSHA Review Commission.

Story via www.kgnb.am

Visit Martin Technical for Electrical Safety Audit Services:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Advertisements

TX: QPP Agrees to pay $6,500 for Lockout Tagout Violations

November 19, 2012 Leave a comment

Austin, TX: Quality Pork Processors in Austin has agreed to pay $6,500 for serious workplace safety violations.

The company was cited by OSHA in April over its lockout/tagout process. That’s when a machine’s energy source is locked out before it’s tagged for cleaning or servicing. Not doing this properly can lead to a machine turning on unexpectedly, causing injury.

QPP was originally fined nearly $12,000, but that amount was reduced.

Story via kaaltv.com

Visit Martin Technical for Lockout Tagout Programs:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

TX: Vann Energy fined $246,000 by OSHA, Repeat Electrical Violations

November 19, 2012 Leave a comment

Nixon, TX: U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Vann Energy Services LLC in Nixon, Texas, with 13 safety and health violations including two willful and three repeat for exposing workers to flash fires and other hazards. Proposed penalties total $246,000.

OSHA’s Austin Area Office opened an inspection after two workers were injured by a fire that occurred in an oil and gas field tank.

Inspectors found that the employer had failed to ensure that the air inside the tank was tested for flammable or toxic materials before providing employees with electrical equipment that is capable of causing a potentially flammable environment to ignite.

The repeat violations include failing to provide eye and face protection, communicate chemical hazard information to workers and protect flexible electric cords from damage.

A repeat violation exists when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcement states within the last five years. OSHA cited the company for similar violations in August 2011.

One of the willful violations involves failing to implement a respiratory protection program that includes an evaluation of respiratory hazards, medical evaluations for workers, fit testing, training, and the proper means to clean and store the respirators.

The other violation involves failing to implement a permit-required confined space entry program that includes atmospheric testing, proper written permits, a qualified attendant and rescue plans.

A willful violation is one committed with intentional knowing or voluntary disregard for the law’s requirements, or with plain indifference to worker safety and health.

Eight serious violations include failing to ensure that electrical equipment such as a portable lamp is approved for hazardous locations, maintain electrical conductors and cords in a safe operating condition, train workers on the proper use of personal protective equipment, consult workers on confined space entry procedures and maintain fire extinguishers in a proper working condition.

A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director in Austin or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Story via insurancejournal.com

Visit Martin Technical for Electrical Safety Audits and Electrical Safety Training:

Martin Technical Electrical Safety Services Arc Flash

Advertisement – Click on Ad to visit Martin Technical

Utility Worker Electrocuted in TX

February 15, 2011 Leave a comment

Flower Mound, Texas – A utility worker was fatally electrocuted Monday while working in Double Oak. [ Bloggers note:  “fatally electrocuted” is redundant and the work “electrocuted” is often misused by the media.  If a person has been electrocuted, they have been killed by electrical shock.]

Police said that Jacob Lee Willis, 32, of Waxahachie, TX was working with Southern Electric Corporation on a power pole replacement crew in the 100 blk. of Meadow Knoll Rd. when an energized power cable touched the metal boom of the lift he was standing beside.

Upon arrival, Double Oak Police Officer Michael Huffman went to the backyard and observed Willis on the ground receiving CPR. 

The Argyle Fire Department responded, provided medical treatment and transported Willis to Presbyterian Hospital in Flower Mound where he was pronounced dead.

An investigation into the official cause of death by the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office is ongoing.

Southern Electric Utility Worker Electrocuted

January 27, 2011 Leave a comment

Denton County, TX – A Waxahachie utility worker was electrocuted Monday afternoon while working to replace a power pole in a Double Oak neighborhood in Denton County.

Jacob Lee Willis, 32, was working on a power pole replacement crew with the Southern Electric Corp. at about 12:12 p.m. in the 100 block of Meadow Knoll Road when an energized power cable touched a hydraulic lift he was working and struck him with a large amount of electricity, according to a Double Oak Police Department news release.

He was given CPR at the scene, the release stated.

Willis was taken to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Flower Mound, where he later died, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

Story via Star-Telegram.com

Free Electrical Safety Resources

Click Logo for Free Resources

Man Shocked by Water Heater

January 13, 2011 1 comment

Brownsville, TS – Almost electrocuted in Brownsville – At about 11:20 a.m. Wednesday, dispatchers received a call that a 37-year-old man received an electric shock while attempting to adjust the water heater. The home is in the 900 block of Kirk Avenue. Lebanon medics responded, as did Brownsville firefighters. The man was well enough to ride in his own car to get medical treatment.

Storfy via DemocratHerald

Arc Flash Closed High School

January 10, 2011 Leave a comment

McALLEN — Students attending James “Nikki” Rowe High School here must end their holiday break one day early in order to make up a for a day lost earlier in the academic year.

The McAllen school district officially does not return from a three-week break until Monday, Jan. 10, but Rowe High students will trek back to school on Friday, Jan. 7.

Students there enjoyed a brief day off on Sept. 1 following an unexpected electrical “arc flash” that temporarily closed operations of the high school. The district is requiring the Jan. 7 opening to make up attendance for that incident.

All other McAllen schools open as regularly scheduled following the weekend.

Story via TheMonitor.com