Archive

Posts Tagged ‘United Kingdom’

UK: Suspected Electrocution of Contractor

November 14, 2012 Leave a comment

Kent, United Kingdom:  An investigation has begun into the death of a contractor who was electrocuted at a shopping centre in Kent. Police said they believed Philip Dodd, 62, died after suffering an electric shock while inside a Marks and Spencer store at the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre, Tunbridge Wells, on Saturday. The death is being treated as suspicious while police work out the full circumstances of what happened.

Officers were called by paramedics from the south east coast ambulance service, who arrived at the scene first. The store was not evacuated as the scene was not in a public area of the shop, a police spokeswoman said.

Tunbridge Wells council has been advised of the incident, and their health and safety officer was reported to be liaising with police.

The spokeswoman said: “We were called just before 3.30pm to the store in Calverley Road. It is believed a man suffered an electric shock. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The air ambulance also attended. It is being treated as a suspicious death until the full circumstances are known.”

An M&S spokeswoman said: “There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned.

“We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage.”

Story via The Gaurdian

Advertisements

UK: Electric Box Fire

October 22, 2012 Leave a comment

Falmouth, UK: Two crews from Falmouth were mobilized on Saturday evening to an electrical fire involving an electric box attached to a property at Budock Water, near Falmouth.

A CO2 extinguisher was used to deal with incident and Western Power were called to isolate the box from the electrical network and make it safe. No-one was hurt in the incident.

Story via Cornwall News

Substation Explosion Injures Two UK Men

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

Two security guards are in a critical condition in hospital after they were seriously injured in an explosion at an ex-colliery.

The two men, aged 38 and 26, suffered serious facial burns in the blast at the former Welbeck Colliery site, near Meden Vale, in Nottinghamshire on Saturday.

They have not yet been identified but are being treated in the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, where they are both said to be in a critical but stable condition.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It is understood that the men were working at the site as security personnel.”

He added: “Detectives are liaising with the site owners, UK Coal, with the fire service and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to determine the sequence of events leading up to the incident.”

The explosion was reported at around 7.30pm on Saturday and involved an electrical sub-station above the ground.

A spokeswoman for Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said the explosion was from an electrical component in the 40m x 30m single-storey building. She added: “The fire itself was very small. The main issue was the explosion itself and the two people injured. Investigations are ongoing.”

A spokesman for UK Coal said it is thought the two security guards were the only people on site at the time of the explosion and they called the emergency services in the aftermath of the blast.

A statement from UK Coal said: “There has been no mining at the colliery since it was closed in May 2010, following which all of the underground shafts and workings have been sealed and closed. The electricity substation is situated on the surface and supplies both the site and surrounding area when required.

“The two injured men were not UK Coal employees, but were contracted to be working as security guards on the site. UK Coal continues to help the police and HSE investigations.”

Story Via The Press Association

HSE Fines Construction Firm For Not Following Electrical Work Regulations

January 5, 2012 Leave a comment

United Kingdom – A man suffered a serious electrical shock after cutting into cable in an accident at a building site.

The unnamed man worked for Wain Homes (North West) Ltd at the time of the incident in November 2010. The firm was building a group of new houses and refurbishing an existing farm house as part of the same project.

The 42 year old labourer was asked to cut an electricity cable that was running through the cellar of the farm property. He had been told that there was no power running through the cable and that it was safe to cut.

However, when he cut the cable he suffered a 230 volt electric shock. The shock was strong enough to throw him across the room.

The HSE investigated the accident and found that the construction firm had not checked existing cables on the property to see if they were live or not. The company were prosecuted for breaking construction regulations and pleaded guilty at court recently.

They were fined £8,000 for breaking rules designed to protect the safety of workers.

LaFarge Fined After Electrical Explosion Accident

November 11, 2010 1 comment

ESSEX, UNITED KINGDOM – Basildon Crown Court yesterday heard that on 10 October 2008, Paul Ridings, 39, had been investigating a fault with an energy meter when he inadvertently disturbed a loose connection.  A strand of wire became exposed leading to an electrical explosion.

Mr Ridings’ clothes caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands. He received emergency treatment and spent 19 days in the Specialist Burns Unit at Broomfield Hospital. Since the incident he has undergone numerous skin grafts and operations to remove scar tissue.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that Lafarge Cement UK Plc of Granite Way, Syston, Leicester failed to ensure electrical systems were maintained in such a way as to protect workers.

The company admitted breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £130,000 and ordered to pay costs of £29,742.

HSE inspector David King said: “Every year approximately 20 people die from electrical shocks or burns following incidents at work. Mr Ridings could easily have been killed in this incident.

“It’s clear that in this case the overall arrangements for maintaining electrical assets were inadequate and the health and safety of both staff and contractors were put at risk.

“HSE will proactively prosecute any company exposing workers to these unnecessary risks.”

Story via cnplus.co.uk